• Individual scientists, who wish to attend training (courses) in laboratory animal science and welfare, can apply for bursaries from Laboratory Animals Limited. In the application a clear and concise statement outlining why attending the course is necessary and relevant for the work of the applicant should be provided. Letter(s) of recommendation from the Head of the applicant’s Institute (or equivalent) are required, as it is expected from the applicant that the knowledge and skills obtained will be passed on to others in his/her own country and Institute. How this will be implemented must be clearly stated in the application and in the letter of recommendation. Also the funds applied for and funding provided by the institute must be stated, as co-financing from the applicant’s own Institute is expected.
• Before applying for a bursary please see the 'How We Prioritise Funding' section
• In addition to providing individual bursaries, bursaries can be provided to course organisers. Examples of these are the Masters course in Laboratory Animal Science in Barcelona, and the FRAME course on statistics and experimental design. In these cases, course participants should direct their applications for funding to the course organisers.
• For those researchers wishing to attend the course at Utrecht University an individual application should be made to LAL
To apply for a bursary, please see the “Application Procedure” section.
Deadlines for applications are 31st of March and 30th of September annually
- Applications submitted for the 31st of March deadline are for activities that will take place between 30th of April of the same year and 30th of April of the following year. Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application in April.
- Applications submitted for the 30th of September deadline are for activities that will take place between 31st of October of the same year and 31st of October of the following year. Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application in October.
- Large Projects (budget over five thousand pounds sterling): The deadlines for applications are 31st of March and 30th of September annually and the evaluation will be carried out in June and December respectively. The applications must be submitted at least four months before the proposed start date of the project and the activity should start at least one month after funding has been approved.